Some of the current needs of the Family Literacy Center include:
- Heavy Duty Paper Cutter
- Volunteer Tutors
- Postage Stamps
- Cleaning Supplies and Paper products
- Gently used or new children's books
- Cash donations are always appreciated, and are fully deductible for income tax purposes
- Weekly cleaning service
- Snow Removal and sidewalk maintenance
- Repair or replacement of outdoor entryway lighting
- GLTA Bus Tokens for students with transportation barriers
- Gift Cards to local stores
Celebrity Auction Solicitor
- Flexible times, needed immediately, 10-30 hours total commitment.
- Skills needed include: good computer research skills, eye for detail, ability to write request letters, ability to coordinate mailings
- This person will work with Mary Wiese. Call 664-2737 or email her at
P.A.C.T. Games Engineer
Build games for our workshop. The game idea will be supplied; however, we always
welcome new ideas! The hours are flexible. This person will report directly to Meredith Donahue,
Family Program Coordinator. This person will:
- Make new game-boards or cards according to the instructions provided. Materials are provided for you.
- Office space will be provided but you can also work from home. Possible brainstorming with staff to come up with new game ideas
Camel Race Fundraising Assistant ~ needed August 1 through October 17
- Somewhat flexible times, an estimated 4-12 hours per week
- Skills needed include: ability to take initiative, follow through on projects, excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, good proofreading skills, ability to do mailings, able to lift 20 lbs, good customer service skills
- This person will work directly with Mary Wiese. Call 664-2737 or email her at
Video Promotion Producer and Editor
This person would videotape FLC activities (interviews, trainings, workshops) then edit
them down to a 5-6 minute promotional DVD that represents our mission and how we
are fulfilling that mission (building skills and enriching lives through literacy in the Lapeer County
area). This person would work with and report to both Mary Wiese. Hours are flexible.
This could easily be a combined effort between two or more people. Must have access to
your own equipment.
Student Activities Coordinator
This volunteer will be skilled at:
- Convening a student meeting or party four times a year
- Call students to promote event, arrange topic or theme and plan location and food
- This person reports to Donna Shelton, and will spend approximately 10 hours on promotion and producing events four times a year.
One On One Promotion Specialist
This volunteer will be skilled at speaking individually to persons who visit our display tables
at various community events or exhibits as needed.
- Monitor Lapeer County community calendar on web and in area newspapers
- Attend events and promote FLC activities to participants
- Maintain current brochures and transport these as needed to events
- Time commitment varies according to event. Report to FLC staff.
This volunteer will pick up the mail when FLC staff cannot do this an estimated three
times each week. Volunteers will be used for this job on an “on call” basis.
- Mail key and mail bag will be provided, mail ready after 10:30 a.m. in Lapeer Post Office
- Mail must be promptly and directly returned to FLC staff in provided bag
- Take any outgoing mail and purchase stamps with company check as needed.
This volunteer may chose to work alone or manage a group of others who also wish to
do this kind of work. Time commitment varies by project size. Report to the person
who initiated the mailing. This is perhaps a weekly chore.
- Have ability to work with a deadline, mail in specified time frame
- Assemble needed materials
- Collate, sort and stamp for mailing using provided example.
Family Flyer Distributor/Coordinator
Training by Meredith Donahue, the Family Program Coordinator. Volunteer will report directly
to Meredith for this project.
- Deliver packets to schools/libraries/businesses according to the checklist
- Times and hours vary. Usually one or two distributions each month.
Book Donation Clerks
This volunteer will accept and sort all donations of used books received by FLC and
will provide counts to the Director. Hours vary and can be set by the volunteer to
coordinate with open building hours.
- Sort, count, value and identify donated books for various FLC programs
- Be willing to dispose of books that are inappropriate for further use
- Be able to lift books to shelf, estimated 20 lbs.
- Find locations to regular distribute free books like the laundrymat, doctors' offices and other places
- Alert staff to need for type or grade level books when supplies diminish
This volunteer will report to Mary Bond and be trained by her to promote our paper
recycling project. Time commitment expected to be 5 hours a month.
- Learn about types of materials accepted. Learn appropriate packing and shipping of materials
- Send press releases about this recycling opportunity and how it benefits our community
- Visit and contact businesses or persons who to encourage them to use out recycling dumpster to recruit businesses for program
Computer Maintenance Specialist
- This volunteer will assure that all maintenance (virus protection, defrag, updates, etc) are performed on all (currently six) FLC computers to keep them in top operating condition. This person will also be asked to troubleshoot computer problems including those with specific programs, networks and software. This person will report to Mary Wiese.
- Hours are somewhat flexible and number needed to perform required tasks will need to be determined by this volunteer
- Some training for office staff may be needed to support this volunteer’s efforts
- Perform needed updates and repairs
- Exceptional technical skills required
- On occasion, FLC is the recipient of goods, materials, supplies, etc. that we cannot use. We are searching for a volunteer who can turn these items into cash and would list them on e-Bay. The proceeds would go to FLC. Hours are flexible, likely 5-10 listing per year. This person would report to Mary Wiese.
- Excellent computer skills with existing account in good standing on e-bay
- Excellent organizational skills and follow through
- Thorough knowledge of all e-Bay processes, rules and procedures
Student Computer Lab Manager
This person must learn about the available programs in our student lab and
understand how to teach these to students. Position requires about 5 hours per week.
- Do lab orientations for all new users (students and tutors)
- Promote use of lab to students and tutors
- Develop list of helpful websites and promote these to users
- Complete a minimum of four on-line courses through Thinkfinity sponsored by Verizon, an FLC funder.
This person will spend, on average, 2-4 hours at an event up to 10 times per year and
may also help with lunch if this is part of a day long event. Additional hosts may
chose to serve as clean-up helpers at the end of the event. This volunteer will be
present at all FLC trainings and assist trainers by:
- Setting up refreshments, making coffee, keep food area clean and well-stocked
- Welcoming guests and provide information about restrooms, facility
- Assisting trainer with room set-up
This person will oversee various printing of various publications as needed. It is
expected that this will require 2-5 hours weekly. You will work directly with
requesting staff and be given specific examples and deadlines for production of
- Copy flyers from an original on our copier, cut them apart using a paper cutter, and organize them into packets for distribution
- Print, collate according to provided example, binding if needed
It is a long list! We believe there is something for everyone. If you
think of something we omitted, just call and offer to do it! We will
probably agree with you!
Call or email us, 810-664-2737 or
We look forward to hearing from you!